My ‘best of 2007’ list is really an outline of what I’ve enjoyed most this year…and not just in music.
- “Berlin” by BRMC
- “You! Me! Dancing!” by Los Campesinos!
- “I Found Out” by The Pigeon Detectives
- “Fortune Teller” by Plant/Krauss
- “She Moves in Her Own Way” by The Kooks (I thought this came out last year, but this must have been out as a single because I’ve heard it so much)
- More mainstream: “Think I’m in Love” by Beck and “The Sweet Escape” by Gwen Stefani
Favorite b-movies (ok, if you know me…these are no-brainers)
- Resident Evil: Extinction
- Hot Fuzz
- 28 Weeks Later
- BRMC. period. They rolled through Lawrence twice this year, but that second show was literally mind-blowing. One that makes you think they could never be better. Peter Hayes has quickly become my favorite musician. There’s no one I’d rather hear play. Definitely one of my top 5 concerts of all-time!
Favorite website discovery:
- popgadget – I love tech gadgets that help to make my life easier, smarter and more fun!
- BRMC – Baby 81 (I’m not known for liking mellow tracks, but I even like the slower songs on this album!)
- Dinosaur Jr – Beyond (after a long absence they come back with some of their best music eva)
- Emma Pollock – Watching the Fireworks (my Scottish selection for the year – this is a mesmerizing disc)
Biggest pop culture thrill that lived up to the hype:
- The Led Zep reunion, of course. Seeing vid of “Kashmir” gave me chills.
Person I’m most jealous of this year:
- Alison Krauss – she made a stellar album with one of my heroes…and she convinced him to branch out of his comfort zone.